Travel to Australia is only available if you are exempt or you have been granted an individual exemption. Travel restrictions are subject to change in response to the circumstances surrounding COVID-19.
All people travelling to Australia must provide proof of a negative COVID-19 polymerase chain reaction (PCR) result at the time of check-in. Travelers must wear a mask while on the flight and while in the airport environment.
Sydney, Australia’s largest city and the capital of the New South Wales state, is nearing the seventh week of a nine-week lockdown. It has reported five deaths and a record 262 infections in the past 24 hours.
The government is also under pressure as Australia’s economy is threatened by a second recession in two years.
To boost the economy and regardless of the above restrictions, and through its General Skilled Migration Program, the Australian government invites skilled migrants with experiences in scarce areas which are facing workforce shortages. The main aim behind this program is to increase the productivity in the economy of Australia.
The Skilled stream of the Migration Program is designed to attract migrants who make a significant contribution to the Australian economy, and fill positions where no Australian workers are available. Skilled migrants have very high participation rates in the workforce, helping to stimulate economic growth, which results in more jobs.
To qualify for the Skilled stream of the Migration Program the basic criteria are:
- Age – you must be under 45 years of age at the date of application
- English language – you must have sufficient ability in the English language
- Qualifications – you are required to have a tertiary qualification (usually a university degree or a trade) and your qualification must have been assessed by the relevant assessing authority in Australia.
- Nominated occupation – when you apply you will need to nominate an occupation befitting your skills and qualifications. This occupation must be on the Skilled Occupations List in the case of the subclass 189 visa or on one of the State/Territory lists for the subclass 190 visa
- Medical and character checks – you must be able to satisfy the criteria for both medical and character requirements
High skilled individuals can currently submit their applications, however, we encourage individuals who would like to benefit from this program to consult with a specialist to ensure that the technical aspects of the applications are clear.