Candidates who possess skills as specified on the critical skills list as published by the Department of Home Affairs, would qualify for a visa in this category.
Typical skills listed on the critical skills list are engineers, corporate general managers, scientists, physicists, technicians, architects, quantity surveyors, risk assessors, integrated developers, IT specialists, health professionals, industrial pharmacists, tradesman, specialist support foreign language speakers, academic etc. Please click here for a full list of critical skills.
The following quintessential documents must be submitted, inter alia, with the application (we can assist with these as required):
- Confirmation in writing from the accredited professional body, council or board recognised by SAQA (South African Qualifications Authority) or any relevant government department confirming the candidate’s skills or qualifications and where appropriate post qualification experience
- Proof of evaluation of foreign qualification, by SAQA. The required documents for this evaluation include:
- Certified copy of qualification
- Certified copy of academic transcripts
- Certified copy of passport title page
- Proof that the candidate has secured employment within 12 months of obtaining the critical skills visa in the form of an employment contract specifying the occupation and capacity in which you shall be employed (where proof of employment is not submitted, the visa may only be issued for a period of 12 months after which the candidate will be required to renew the visa with proof of employment).
Critical skills visas are valid for a maximum period of 5 years, and are renewable.
To apply in South Africa, the applicant must apply before their current visa expires (preferably 60 days before expiry), alternatively they will be required to apply in their home country or country of residence.
Click here to send your updated resume to email@example.com to confirm whether you qualify for a Critical Skills Work Visa.
A critical skills work visa is granted on a showing that the applicant possesses such skills or qualifications. Current regulations requires the applicant to corroborate these facts by way of confirmation in writing from the accredited professional body, council or board recognized by SAQA or any relevant government Department confirming the applicant’s skills or qualifications and appropriate post qualification experience. This is the only work visa which does not restrict its holder to work for any specific employer, although the holder of such permit may engage in work only within the field of his demonstrated expertise. This permit is also granted for a period not exceeding five years.
To apply you must submit the following:
- A duly completed application for Visa to Temporarily Sojourn in the Republic (DHA-1738) form signed by the applicant.
- A passport valid for no less than 30 days after the expiry of intended visit.
- Medical and radiology reports.
- A police clearance certificate from each country in which you resided for 12 months or longer since the age of 18 years.
- Confirmation in writing from the accredited professional body, council or board recognized by SAQA or any relevant government
- Department confirming the applicant’s skills or qualifications and appropriate post qualification experience.
- Testimonials from previous employers, if applicable.
- A comprehensive curriculum vitae.
- A letter of motivation indicating that your exceptional skills will be to the benefit of the South African environment in which you intend to operate.
- All required documentation for a spouse and/or children if they intend to accompany you.
Submissions in South Africa
Applications submitted in South Africa at the VFS office take approximately 4 – 8 weeks.
- Department of Home Affairs Application Fee – R1520
- VFS Service Fee – R1350
Applications that are submitted abroad in the applicants home country or country of permanent residence are generally processed within 30 days, this may differ slightly from one foreign mission to the next.
An amount equal to R1520 in local currency