Visitor Visa with work authorisation under Section 11(2)
This category of visa is ideal for candidates who are required to enter South Africa on an urgent basis. Foreign missions take on average 5 – 10 days to process this category of visa and it is valid for up to 3 months. It allows the holder thereof to work in South Africa. It may be extended once more in South Africa for a further 3 months.
A change of status is not allowed in South Africa and the candidate must return to their home country to apply for a long-term work visa should they be required to work in South Africa for a longer term.
The following quintessential documents must be submitted, inter alia, with the application (we can assist with these as required):
- Flight itinerary confirming travel to South Africa and return 90 days later
- Proof of reservation of accommodation where the candidate will be residing in the Republic
- Copy of the candidates’ updated resume
- A certified copy the candidates’ highest qualification
- Proof of sufficient financial means
- Documentation confirming the reason and duration of the visit
Under Section 11 (2) of the Immigration Act an applicant is also entitled to apply for a visa authorisation from head office of the Department of Home Affairs in order to conduct certain work related activities. It is important to note that this is not a work permit and that it is only to address an immediate short term or urgent need for a limited duration of work related activity where an applicant cannot apply for a work permit. The authorisation cannot be used in place of a work permit for ongoing regular work activity. It is renewable for further period of 90 days.
A visitor visa must be applied for in the applicant’s home country or country of permanent residence. The candidate can not apply for any other visa within South Africa with this permit in hand and will be required to return to his/her home country before the expiry of the visa.
- Application form DHA-84
- Original Passport with three (3) blank pages that is valid for no less than thirty (30) days.
- One (1) passport size photo
- Travel itinerary showing onward or return flight details
- For Business visits: Signed letters of invitation from the company being visited and the company abroad confirming the purpose and the duration of stay in South Africa
- Proof of funds – A copy of your recent Bank statement (for the last three months
- Proof of accommodation in South Africa
- Proof of remuneration
- Visa application fee
Applications must be submitted in the applicants’ home country or country of residence. Applications take approximately 5 – 10 working days to process.
There is no application fee, however, this may differ from mission to mission. If there is a fee applicable, it will be R425. We recommend applicants have this amount in local currency when they submit their applications at the South African High Commission.